Re: [GNUe] Reports from DBF Files (2)

From: Karl M. Joch
Subject: Re: [GNUe] Reports from DBF Files (2)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:03:38 +0200

Karl M. Joch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Reinhard Mueller wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> it's very nice to see you here on this list, and I've always wanted to
>> thank you for creating the FreeBSD ports for GNUe!
>>

> Not a problem, I am really interested in GNUE so I was interested to see it working on FreeBSD.
>
>> Am Mit, den 25.08.2004 schrieb Karl M. Joch um 1:06:
>>
>>> Trying to create some reports on FreeBSD from Clipper/DBF Files.
>>

>> The dbf dbdriver for gnue is based on an external python dbf library
>> which also has to be installed.
>>
>> Our project member Jan Ischebeck has has created this driver, and AFAIK
>> noone else of the gnue team has ever used it. Unfortunately, we haven't
>> heard from Jan lately, as he seems to be busy with real life.
>>
>> We have tried to find out what external python dbf library he has used,
>> and all we found out is that it's *not* http://www.fiby.at/dbfpy/ :-(
>>
>> Maybe Jan sees this mail and can help us. Or maybe somebody else has
>> managed to make dbf run.
>>
>> If you really think it would be wort the effort, we could also create a
>> new driver that is based on the fiby module mentioned above. For this,
>> it would be interesting how others see the need for a dBase compatible
>> dbdriver for GNUe.
>>
>> Thanks,
>

> I searched and found 3 things:
>
> http://schwinger.harvard.edu/~mspal/pystuff/dbf.txt
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2001-July/053128.html
> http://lists.maptools.org/pipermail/shapelib/2004-May/000076.html
>
> it looks ilke to me that the first one could be the neccecary module. I will try it soon, but finally this one has no support for index files. In the first step i would like to add some reports to an very old application we are running. without indexes dbf access makes no real sence. I still havnt found the time to start moving away from Clipper/Harbour. Application is very complex :-( .

imported dbf.py from schwinger.harvard.edu to /sur/local/lib/python.2.3

module itself works:

thon 2.3.4 (#2, Jun 19 2004, 00:27:41)
[GCC 3.3.3 [FreeBSD] 20031106] on freebsd5

... print "%s, %s" % (strip(k[1]), strip(k[2]))
  File "<stdin>", line 2
    print "%s, %s" % (strip(k[1]), strip(k[2]))
        ^
IndentationError: expected an indented block

J, 0002001
N, 0004001
N, 0004002
N, 0004003
N, 0049999
N, 0050000
J, 0050001
N, 0010000
N, 0010001
N, 0010002

But again error. I am not very familiar with Python and there is a todo
note in connections.py regarding DataObject and Static definition.

DB000: Traceback (most recent call last):
DB000:   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gnue/designer/base/MenuBar.py",
line 143, in <lambda>
DB000:     lambda event, l=self.instance, e=action, x=eventdata:
l.dispatchEvent(e, **x))
DB000:   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gnue/common/events/EventController.py",
line 111, in dispatchEvent
DB000:     handler(event)
DB000:   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gnue/designer/base/Instance.py",
line 581, in __OnConnectTo
DB000:     tempDO = self.connections.getDataObject(conn, 'object')
DB000:   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gnue/common/datasources/GConnections.py",
line 292, in getDataObject
DB000:     connection = self.getConnection(connection_name)
DB000:   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gnue/common/datasources/GConnections.py",
line 245, in getConnection
DB000:     'Connection')
DB000:   File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gnue/common/apps/plugin.py",
line 168, in find
DB000:     raise LoadError, (name, result)
DB000: gnue.common.apps.plugin.LoadError: Cannot load plugin dbf
DB000: The following plugins failed:
DB000: * gnue.common.datasources.drivers.dbf.dbf: NameError: name
'DataObject' is not defined
DB000: