Re: [GNUe] foreign key question

From: chafar
Subject: Re: [GNUe] foreign key question
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:35:48 +0200

Hello.

El mar, jun 08, a las 22:38:20 Reinhard Mueller escribía:
> Am Die, den 08.06.2004 schrieb address@hidden um 1:17:

> > The org record definition has a 'nick' field, but org record isn't a
> > 'user' record. What the user sees is a customer record, a provider
> > record, or a shipping operator one.
> >
> > I'd like that, when the user is dealing with a customer record, the
> > 'nick' (org) field has the focus and (s)he strokes up/down keys,
> > navigates into customer records. I've solved the cuestion adding a
> > type field to org records but I wonder if there is a way to do
> > something like that without org table knowing about the class of record
> > that is actually linking to one of its ones.
>
> I'm sorry but I can't follow you here.

You have an org table that holds data from, say, customers and
providers and one of the fields is the name. Customer record has a field
that links to the correspondent org record, but you'd like org record
not to have a field saying if a customer record or a provider one is
actually linking to it.

You have a customer form with a master(org) / detail(customer) link so
the data gets sync and the user just see a whole virtual record. If you
navigate with the focus at name field, you will obtain org records
belonging to customers as well as providers.

I've solved the issue including a type field in org record an adding
the correspondent condition in org datasource, but I wondered if would
be a way for doing without the need of using a type field in org record.

> > > Using appserver, you could access the org of an employee as a field
> > > named "dept.org". You could filter by that, sort by that, or display
> > > it.
> > > You could even display a field named "dept.org.name", if the org_org
> > > table has a field "name".
> >
> > This sounds like what I am looking for. How could this be done? By
> > mean of
> > a 'virtual' or mediated datasource from gnue-form point of view?

> No. By means of nothing. Just add a condition on the "dept.org" field of
> the employee datasource. You can play as if the employee table really
> had a field named "dept.org". Appserver will do all joins and everything
> automagically. No extra action required.

That's fine, and, in a wider sense, it means you can actually benefit
from appserver even programming nothing in appserver.

Thanks for your attention.
--
José Esteban
Granada - Spain