Re: [GNUe] Looking for a converter

From: John Fabiani
Subject: Re: [GNUe] Looking for a converter
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:20:02 -0700

Kenneth D. Reiszner wrote:

John Fabiani wrote:

Hi,
I'm looking for a way to convert the table stru from a DBF  to Postgres
(to use with my gnue program).  Does anyone know of an easy way to get
this done.  Getting data into the table appears to be easy - but I have
to setup the table first. I tired to get pg2dbf working but was unable
to compile it for SUSE 9.0.  So I need a little help to ease the pain
moving from DBF to postgres.

I am sure somebody else has a better solution than this, but I would find a machine with Microsoft Access 97/2000 (Might work on later versions) and import the file(s). Then I would use one of the tools that will covert the file to a sql file compatible with PostgreSQL. The one that I have used is exportSQL version 3.2-dev http://www.rot13.org/~dpavlin/projects/sql/exportSQL3.txt . <http://www.rot13.org/%7Edpavlin/projects/sql/exportSQL3.txt> This is a text file that can be pasted into a blank MS Access module. The output includes a file for creating the database, one for inputting the data and a third for deleting the tables created if things go poorly.

If your release of PostgreSQL (7.3 does) complains about creating the tables with the date fields created by this tool do a search and replace in a text editor to change them to something more viable. Alternatively, and more elegantly alter the text file above. I have converted about half of my files for my company to Postgresql with this tool and I consider myself a real novice. Eventually I will move everything over. MS Access imports data well but exports data only grudgingly. With this tool its character is changed.

Good luck,

Kenneth D. Reiszner, Ph.D.
President
REAL, Inc. (Reiszner Environmental & Analytical Laboratories )
P.O. Box 709,
Lecompte, LA 71346

Ph.No. & FAX: 318-443-0426

John