Re: [GNUe] Working through first Example

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: [GNUe] Working through first Example
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:20:11 -0700 (MST)

James Thompson said:
> On Monday 22 March 2004 10:51 pm, Clay Hopperdietzel wrote:
>> >
>> > I've attached the example.gsd file.  I'll be adding it to the
>> developers guide in the near future.
>>
>> Is there any way you could direct others as to the source of the
>> knowledge you used to produce this file.
>
> Actually this is the sample that gnue-schema is being used as an example
> of  what gnue-schema would accept.  Not everything in there is currently
>  implemented.  Sorry for not making that clear in my first post.
>
> The actual definition of the xml we accecpt is stored in
> gnue-common/src/schema/GSParser.py.  It is in common's parser dictionary
>  format.

There used to be a DTD around somewhere that was auto created from
gnue-common.  I know becuase I used it in XML mode for emacs to help make
writing these gsd's more simple.

>> Interesting things like, what are the data types.  Which ones care
>> about length.  What is a map between gnue-schema types, and SQL types
>> (realize this is vendor specific, but hey).
>>

> I'm learning this myself and hope to have more samples up in the near
> future.

I originally documented the first implementation completely in an Open
Office document that was in CVS.  CVS has moved too much and I don't have
my development machine close at hand, but someone just needs to update
this document.  I know when Jan had done some initial changes he was
updating that document to correspond.  I will try to look for it when I
get home.  It listed all the data types and try to correspond them to at
least postgres (iirc).

-Derek