Re: [GNUe] curses RAD

From: James Thompson
Subject: Re: [GNUe] curses RAD
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 13:12:47 -0600

On Monday 22 March 2004 03:49 pm, Luie Matthee wrote:

> - an extensive set of code (business logic) would need to be written into
> the DB.

Depending upon your needs you might be able to  write quite a bit of the
application logic inside gfd file triggers.  The core trigger logic is shared
between all gnue apps so this might make migration of this logic from inside
the form to appserver easier if you decided to switch to appserver in the
future.

> Any idea of the "curses" Python library release date?

I honestly can't say.  We've taken several stabs at the curses driver, each
time getting a little closer to complete.  I believe most the basic
functionality was working a while back.  Things like dropdowns were not
working correctly though.  However we don't have a dedicated curses UI driver
maintainer.  So it's mainly a matter of someone finding enough time devote to
making it happen.

I *think* our current issue was with regard to the fact that our curses
library doesn't provide us a way to create overlaying windows that save the
data beneath them.  This makes things like the dropdown screw up the
underlying screen.  I think.

So, if anyone feels like they'd love to do some curses programming we're
always looking for volunteers :)

Take Care,
James