Re: [hangout] Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [hangout] Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 05:33:45 -0500

      Also, I do consider it possible that some of the other organizers
    of this event simply made a bad choice in judgement or were misled without
    being fully aware of what they were doing, the implications of their
action,
    or the ways that thier event is being misused as a result.

I think the organizers know exactly what they are doing.  When Tony
Stanco started down this path, he told me that he was bowing to
pressure from the sponsors, pressure to hush up the free software
movement and its ethical aspects.  They themselves had come under
pressure.  I told him in no uncertain terms that he should not let
them redirect his efforts in the wrong direction.

      I do know that if we create an immediate and public
    confrontation it would become far harder for them to choose to
    alter their current plans if some of them would have been open to
    doing so, and would also immediately limit our choice of options
    to a single and fixed course of action.

I spoke to him about this at length last summer.  I see no hope of
convincing him, because he says that his bosses reject any
improvement.

I suppose we could try finding out who they are and talking with them
privately.  Would someone like to do this now?  I'd be willing to talk
with them if someone finds out who.  I will be in DC at the end of
this month, so maybe I could meet them in person.