Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that

From: Stanley A. Klein
Subject: Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2003 10:44:41

I seriously doubt that many people at the conference would be under the
illusion that Microsoft's "shared source" nonsense is in any way an
extension of Free/Open-Source software.

The fact that they were placed in the *preliminary* agenda under "vendor
perspectives" is probably a result of the fact that there might not be any
other place to put them.  I can visualize some possible debating partners
for them in that group (such as Michael Tiemann of Red Hat), or I can
visualize them being moved to a different group such as the policy area
where Bruce Perens has a presentation.  Please note that the conference was
way late in finalizing its speakers list and hasn't yet shown the speakers
organized into sessions.

In any event, by the end of the session in which the Microsoft speaker
appears, I expect it to be abundantly clear to every attendee that "shared
source" is lipstick on a pig.

[For the non-US members of the list, this refers to a TV commercial aired
in the wake of the scandal over misleading stock brokerage analyst reports.
 In that commercial a manager at a corrupt brokerage firm gives a pitch
about selling their customers on buying a worthless stock and ends with him
saying to his analysts and brokers, "Let's put some lipstick on this pig."]

I think the situation will become more clear when we see the conference
agenda organized into sessions and session topics.

Stan Klein