Re: Tools

From: Dragi Raos
Subject: Re: Tools
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 18:03:24 +0200

I see your point. Of course, #1 was excellent reason not to use POSSL -
it did not exist :-)

However, #2 is not exactly correct: POSSL can work with, but does not
require, non-free SW; one can use it without WebSphere and business
graphics, and with some of the free database systems. They have also
switched from commercial to free version of Motif.

Linus did not start Linux for 'world changing' reasons a'la RMS, but for
fun and educational value of it. But that's beside the point.

POSSL is still very much a slightly obsolete version of Panther for
Linux. I hoped that OSS comunity would take it and give it life of its
own (by updating database drivers, interfacing it with some free
implementation of J2EE architecture, make it work with some of the free
Linux-native GUI toolkits, adding more functionality...). There is
nothing to prevent us from doing that in the license Prolifics released
it under. As it stands now, it is mostly utilised by users of commercial
Panther as a means to get cheap, slightly incompatible developer seats
and as the 'ultimate programmer's reference' (no manual can beat
actually reading the code).  I think that's pitty.

Of course, I am not sugesting that people @ GNUe should change their
platform just because I happen to like another one - it's too late for
that now. Frankly, I was surprised that anybody even heard of POSSL :-)

Good luck!

Dragi "Bonzi" Raos