Re: GNUe Integrator - already written?

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: GNUe Integrator - already written?
Date: 19 Aug 2002 21:03:08 -0700

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 11:43, Peter Sullivan wrote:
> I think it's fair to say that, when we did the first release of
> GNUe Reports, there was almost a "eureka" moment when we realised
> that this was also, in effect, the first half of GNUe Integrator
> (the export, i.e. database -> XML, bit).

I think always there was a notion that they would be very similar and
perhaps even almost a single product.

> Are we about to have another "eureka" moment for the other half?
> The work that Jason and Jan have been doing on the on the schema
> import wizard will now include data as well as just schema, as
> discussed in http://kt.zork.net/GNUe/gnue20020713_37.xml#14
> We've mainly considered the data import capabilities of this as
> being for standing/set-up data that is 'almost' part of the
> schema (e.g. initial values for primary keys and so on).
> However, if we were to use it for "transactional data" as
> well, does that not give us the other half (import, i.e. XML ->
> database) of GNUe Integrator, or at least a major building
> block for it?

Well this is huge, the biggest thing that is missing is the data
transformation on the fly stuff.  (i.e. Integrator Triggers) and of
course a nice UI to go along with it.  I think much of Integrator will
become basically reuse of other core code in different ways within
Desinger.

> Or is this so obvious that everyone else spotted it weeks ago,
> and didn't even think it worthy of comment?

Some what obvious, too busy to comment. :)

-Derek