Re: Zope?

From: Jason Cater
Subject: Re: Zope?
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 09:25:17 -0500

Hi Malek,

This is certainly a valid question. Several of the core developers use Zope as
web/portal servers at their places of work. GNUe is even switching to a Zope
backend for our website.

While it's true that Zope is an application server, it is our opinion that Zope
is a specialized, targeted web application server -- it's targeted at serving
web applications / content. Even their site says this:

    "Zope is a leading open source application server,
     specializing in content management, portals, and
     custom applications."

However, I could be way off base... sometimes free/open source projects are
more general-purpose than they at first comes across. In any case, our tools
are fairly modular in nature, so if someone wanted to use Zope as a backend,
our tools should support it.

I hope this was somewhat helpful.

Jason Cater
GNU Enterprise