RE: modeling tools for developping AND implementing

From: Pierre-Alain Millet
Subject: RE: modeling tools for developping AND implementing
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 10:17:56 +0200

Yes, it's possible to start a project next year

1/ I want to propose next year a student placement.
I'm sure that we'll have students interested...
My laboratory can be involved, but our activity is centered on integration
and modelisation from a business point of view, and we are not focused on
software..

If you can propose a placement in a gnue development team, we can share
costs and organize together...

Subject and context have to be decided before october for a work starting in
november (2 days/week) and april/August full time.

2/ But we have first to decide WHAT is a business process modeling tools...
one can think that a BPM tools is nothing else that an UML tools for
software design
but offers on the market are very differents (IDS Scheer, Mega Process,
Akazi, e-scor, phios...)

In fact, this question is around the dualism "modeling for desing/modeling
for use"
, or "tools/usage" . Let me take an example... Do you know all about your
car engine ? If you try to model car pilot  behavior, do you need to model
the entire car ?

OK, for me, the answer is clear... NO !!

3/ but after that, we have to decide what is the relation betwwen both
model...

In my experience, ERP editors use CASE tools (generaly UML) for software
design (and generate 20% of software with these tools and develop directly
in code after...) and they have dedicated teams of consultants to create
business process models. I have this same experience with BAAN, SAP,
MOVEX...

Bu i'm not sure that is the best way.. It's more a constraint of "time to
market" necessity (first the software to enable sale, and after tools for
effective use...)

Perhaps, business process model can be the input of software functionnal
model ? but i would be more interested by an interactive approache (modeling
business give needs and constraints to modeling software, but modeling
software represents opportunity and constraints for business modeling...

pam