Re: ERP standards

From: Neil Tiffin
Subject: Re: ERP standards
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 19:04:33 -0500

At 3:18 PM -0800 2/23/02, Todd Boyle wrote:
GNUE project is certainly not unique in ignoring various
standards of course.  We should count our blessings and
salute Neil, Derek, and other key developers for their generosity
in offering this open source project to the community.  They're

Having worked with GNUE for almost 2 years I think the issue is NOT the lack of desire to use standards. I for one would much rather use someone else's prior work in the form of standards instead of trying to create a beast from scratch.

My problem is that I am not an accountant and don't have the time to sort through all of the noise (standards that are being proposed, but will never be implemented or represent an accepted standard).

I have not found an accounting standard that applies to GNUe. There are all sorts of standard that are vying for control of how accounting is done. But I have not found one that is geared for internal systems. Most of the ones mentioned, so far, have been for data interchange and they are not currently practical for high volume transactions internal to a company.

Of course, my look at accounting standard has only been cursory, so please feel free to enlighten me if a standard exists that is practical.

Neil