Re: Clients and financial years

From: Reinhard Müller
Subject: Re: Clients and financial years
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 23:37:37 +0200

"Kenneth D. Reiszner" wrote:

> I realize that I am a dunce when it comes to acronyms in the computing field
> so I
> routinely use Babel to enlighten me. Unfortunately although I have seen ASP
> many
> times in the literature I have yet to see it defined and the definitions
> given by
> Babel in this instance are I think unsatisfactory.:

ASP here stands for "application service provider", which means (very
shortened) that a
company provides hard- and software for business applications and lets other
companies
work on their system over the internet for a fee.
I'm sure that real ASP exports (IIRC we have some on the list) could give a
more precise
definition, but I guess I get the basic point here :)

> If you could enlighten me it would be most helpful. Additional enlightenment
> might answer the question when do you thing that gnue will be able to be used
> as
> a rudimentary accounting program for simple invoicing and possibly statement
> generation.

As most free software projects, we don't have an exact timetable, but the
snowball is
growing faster and faster :)
We have some tiny applications already built with gnue, and the "real big one"
is
currently in definition phase.

> As an end user I am most grateful for what you and the gnue team are doing.
> If I
> can help in any way I feel free to call upon me.

The good thing about free software development is that everybody just can do
what he is
interested in. The same goes for you :)
As an end user, you could for example read our documentation and tell us how
much the
system we are planning would meet your needs, which are probably the same needs
as other
companies have.

If you are IRC-enabled, you could join us on irc.openprojects.net channel
#gnuenterprise.

In every case, we are happy about _every_ kind of help, especially from "real"
business
people (as most of the current core team comes from the technical side rather
than from
the business side).

Thanks,
--