RE: UML cooperation

From: Micheal J
Subject: RE: UML cooperation
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 17:11:51 -0000

Once again. No philosophy im my reply  ;-))

Vio, if one accepts the FSF's view that access to source code is a
prerequisite for "software freedom" then Visual C++ is a bad example. The
code you write is yours as you point out and you can supply the source but,
the program will always rely on the runtime libraries that are not yours.
You cannot supply the source to the library.

Of course the same can be said of all windows programs that rely on the
libraries provided by the Windows OS which you cannot supply the source for
(unless you were the enterprising hacker that partied in Microsoft's
intellectual property vault for months!!). Now that is extreme philosophy...

| A better explanation to this situation may come from a more
| strategic theater: FSF is apparently enforcing a policy of
| discriminating against non-GNU code amongst their ranks, in a
| move to favor the development of open source code. This would
| make more sense to me. Good. But since I am not on FSF's payroll
| (figure of speech), I am free to express my opinion that
| technical merit should outweight licensing policies, and not the
| other way around (or FSF's way). This being said, go gnue !

I believe this is right and the FSF is happy to say so. It isn't
discrimination, it is making a conscious choice to stay on the open source
path and never digress. Extreme but it's a personal choice thing...

Cheers!,

Micheal