Re: [Gnue] RE: [xbrl-public] Requesting an official report on GL schema

From: vio
Subject: Re: [Gnue] RE: [xbrl-public] Requesting an official report on GL schema
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:38:41 -0400

First, thanks to Todd for raising up this issue. Two weeks ago I had no idea what an XBRL eats in winter (now I still don't but then I only skimmed the www.xbrl.org site).

Second, the XBRL effort seems to have quite a few heavy commercial names in its corner, united by the shared interest of a common biz data reporting protocol. Could XBRL become the biz data reporting equivalent of TCP/IP ? The union of these heavy commercial interests and Todd's comments may suggest that XBRL may not be conceived in a true "open source" spirit (just my first impression).

My comment is that if XBRL does not appear to be "open enough", and doesn't project that image of crystal-clear transparency, true GNU-grade open source initiatives will of course enter this space and challenge XBRL's run for hegemony. This will translate in wasteful effort duplications, which are best avoided, we all agree on this (I mean, one TCP/IP standard is enough, so one biz data standard should be enough as well; the rest is just politics).
I hope XBRL participants are aware of the silent power of the open source movement (the sleeping giant ?), and instead of challenging it, do open up and cooperate with it, be part of it. One first step to do that is to embrace its way of doing things: no closed doors, put everything in the open for all to see. Our business model here should be to freely and openly cooperate on development and to make our money (as we all have to eat) on customization, servicing, etc. If you just want to steal the whole pie all for yourselves, these days you probably won't go very far.

My two cents,
Vio

 Todd, Hi. First, I said you were way off in left-fied with your remarks that XBRL is trying to keep its membership to a minimum so we can maximize consulting fees.  That's wrong, and there's no excuse for you to make such accusations....