[Gnue] RE: [xbrl-public] Requesting an official report on GL schema

From: Coffin, Zachary P
Subject: [Gnue] RE: [xbrl-public] Requesting an official report on GL schema
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:52:05 -0400

Todd, Hi.  First, I said you were way off in left-fied with your remarks that XBRL is trying to keep its membership to a minimum so we can maximize consulting fees.  That's wrong, and there's no excuse for you to make such accusations.

Your questions about XBRL are good ones, and I hope that you and others on this list may be served by whatever answer I can provide.  Simply put, XBRL was created to be an internet standard for business information, reporting and analysis.  We met our first goal, which was to create a specification and taxonomy for XBRL for Financial Statements (Consumer & Industrial product companies, US GAAP).  We are now working on XBRL for IAS Financial Statements and XBRL for US GAAP Federal Agencies and several other reporting needs.  All of this is public information on www.xbrl.org

During the course of our work, early on, we recognized the need to do XBRL for other kinds of financial and business reporting.  XBRL for G/L is one of them.  Frankly, having just completed the first Financial Statement work, we are at the early stages of working on XBRL G/L.  So, in short, we don't have any answers for you.  It's a work in progress.  That said, I am particularly keen on leveraging the very good work of EDIFACT G/L in Europe, and we are pursuing this angle as a starting point.

Re scope, my own view is that every one of the e-commerce standards eventually will link to XBRL for e-reporting.  XBRL, in effect, will become the magnet specification for internal financial issues, as well as external.  This will be done by collaboration and coordination with industry-specific transaction languages and with some of the over-arching frameworks as well.

Re CDEA, etc., this obviously is a very large topic.  I will say that some are conservative in their thinking and some rather progressive.  So, again, it's a work in progress.  But i think the only real answer I can provide is that as XBRL gains strength and momentum in its other forms of reporting, it may be well positioned to move in the direction you espouse.  Certainly, your thinking is not out of the question.  But, I personally don't think we'll have momentum to force the issue until later in the game, say, 6 months.

Does this help?

Btw, please excuse the multiple postings but, as a subscriber to Gnue, I think it would be useful to hear others' feeling about what XBRL ought to be doing in this space.  Thanks for your attention.

Regards,

Zack