gnue-dev

Re: GNUe Version Numbers

From: Reinhard Mueller
Subject: Re: GNUe Version Numbers
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 20:06:25 +0200

Hi, Randall,

Am Montag, den 09.05.2011, 10:19 -0700 schrieb Randall Whitman:
> Does it make sense to call current Designer 0.6-alpha rather than
> 0.5.7?

Yes, I think so.

> Does it make sense to use bzr revno rather than svn info?

That, and the whole patch you attached, make a *lot* of sense, but
unfortunately we can't do that right now:

On www.gnuenterprise.org, a nightly cron job checks out an SVN version
of the GNUe tools, builds the documentation (including epydoc), updates
the web page, uploads the nightly builds...

However, www.gnuenterprise.org runs on a version of Debian too old to
run Bazaar. So for the time being we are stuck with SVN, by keeping our
main repository in bzr and pushing bzr into svn from time to time.

The long term plan is to move our infrastructure from
www.gnuenterprise.org to the standard GNU infrastructure anyway, and
I've started last year by at least uploading our releases to
ftp.gnu.org, but it'll require a lot more work to move things off of
www.gnuenterprise.org since there's a lot of automatic magic running
there.

Thanks,
Reinhard