gnue-dev

Re: [GNUe-dev] Gnue and Greek UTF-8

From: John Proios
Subject: Re: [GNUe-dev] Gnue and Greek UTF-8
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 21:15:50 +0300

O/H John Proios έγραψε:
O/H David Ayers έγραψε:
Hello Proios,

Am Montag, den 08.09.2008, 09:21 +0300 schrieb John Proios:

I have one problem with gnue and greek utf-8.

Storing all data in Mysql and my database support utf-8.
If write data(greek) in field on gnue-form view and storing normally.
But if try to read the data from my database (F8), the gnue-form do it search and the come back chars is incomprehensible.

I've have had (and still have) many issues with international character
sets and collations with the mysql Database so I understand your
confusion.

First I think you should have some general knowledge of the many
different settings mysql allows.  For an overview have a look at:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/charset.html

In general you can determine the current setting of a connection with:

mysql> show variables like "char%";
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| Variable_name            | Value                      |
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| character_set_client | utf8 | | character_set_connection | utf8 | | character_set_database | utf8 | | character_set_filesystem | binary | | character_set_results | utf8 | | character_set_server | utf8 | | character_set_system | utf8 | | character_sets_dir | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/ | +--------------------------+----------------------------+

As you can see you can determine the character set of the server, a
database, client a connection... In fact you can even define a character
set at table and column level.  Some of these settings are merely
defaults.

To diagnose your issue correctly one would have to check the entire
stack to see what went wrong.

But a wild guess could be that the database and table was created with a
default latin1 setting, GNUe provided UTF-8 data which got mapped to the
corresponding latin1 characters within mysql and when you fetch, the
latin1 data is converted to UTF-8.

Maybe you could show us your:
MySQL: my.conf
GNUe:  connections.conf [Carefull, rmeove all passwords]
and the output of:
mysql> show variables like "char%";
from an interactive mysql session.  Also if you can copy the actual
characters you wrote and the characters you received, they might also
help in diagnosing the conversion issue.

Cheers,
David

Yes
one of issues is if change my /etc/mysql/my.cnf to this

default-character-set=utf8
init-connect = "SET NAMES utf8"
character-set-client-handshake
character-set-client-handshake=0
skip-character-set-client-handshake

and mysql have now this setings
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| Variable_name | Value |
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| character_set_client | utf8 |
| character_set_connection | utf8 |
| character_set_database | utf8 |
| character_set_filesystem | binary |
| character_set_results | utf8 |
| character_set_server | utf8 |
| character_set_system | utf8 |
| character_sets_dir | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/ |
+--------------------------+----------------------------+

All from this time is ok. Install from svn the gnue and make samples data and conf file to this:
connections.conf
[gnue]
comment = GNUe Test Database
aliases = dcl test
provider = mysql
host = localhost
dbname = gnue
[appserver]
comment = Connection to the GNUe Application Server
provider = appserver
rpctype = xmlrpc
host = localhost
port = 8765
transport = http
authentication = no

gnue.conf
change only the ;textEncoding = utf-8

if run the ~/bin/gfcvs appserver://..../address_person the form open in UI curses and if press key greek the program break.
The error is ´utf8´ codec can´t decode byte 0xcf....

if install python-wxgtk2.8 and run the gnue-form with UI wx26 all work fine.

What have in gnue-forms curces ? bug ?

yes. find the problem.

The issue is the python.
I install debian etch (python 2.4.4 & python-wx2.6) and create on /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages a file sitecustomize.py with this commands:
import.sys
sys.setdefaultencoding('UTF-8')

The deferent with preview problem is it my disto is ubuntu with default python 2.5 & python-wx2.8.

I don´t know how setup the gnue with python2.5 and python-wx2.8

All now with debian etch work fine.

Thanks all again.