gnue-dev

Re: [Gnue-dev] A few of questions for a new project that will use GNUe

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: [Gnue-dev] A few of questions for a new project that will use GNUe
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 09:43:17 -0600 (CST)

> I'm evaluating a new application, that a customer has asked me to make, and I
> want to use GNU-e for it. For the moment, I will use GNUe-Forms and Reports.
> I have some questions (and will have more in the future :)

Great.

> - I'm trying to test master/detail forms and they dont' work. I'm thinking if
> this feature is already implemented. If so, can anyone explain me how to do
> it? In techref manual, you talk about two attributes of Blocks ("master" and
> "detail"), but i've seen that Datasources also admit two attributes ("master"
> and "masterlink") that I haven't seen in any doc.

If you are using last release you might want to upgrade to CVS.  We now
have a master / detail WIZARD.  So you can run this then look at
internals.

Basically if I have datasource1 called dtsPerson and datasource2 called
dtsPhone.  In person there is field phone_id and in phone there is field
id.

In the data source dtsPhone put the following....

detaillink="id"
masterlink="phone_id"
master="dtsPerson"

> - The application must allow internationalization/localization, because it
> will be used in different countries, with varying languages, date and
> currency formats, etc. Have you thought in how will this be done in GNU-e?

Arturas is working on this and recently submitted some patches for this.

> - The application will need to scale down to a single PC with Windows 98
> running both the database server and the client, and up to a few dozen of
> clients in different sites talking to a single db server. The only server
> I've found that runs on W98 is MySQL. Do you think that the combination MySQL
> + GNU-e is lightweigth enough to run in a single PC? (I think so...) The
> amount of data is very small (in fact, a similar previous application ran in
> a 386 with MS-DOS).

Yes, but if you find a smaller database like Gadfly or ZODB or Other (even
txt files) you can easily writ a driver for it.

> If the project goes on as expected, I will contribute to GNU-e development as
> much as I can, and will make my packages available, if possible. Thanks for
> your help.

You can check out irc at irc.openprojects.net #gnuenterprise if you ever
want real timme help.

Derek