gnue-dev

[Gnue-dev] Reinhard's white paper

From: Neil Tiffin
Subject: [Gnue-dev] Reinhard's white paper
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 19:24:38 -0500

I think we should add some thoughts.

1) Technical Goals

- central repository for defining business rules, methods and data that does not require a software developer to adapt to the business.

2) GNUe Object Access Translator (GOAT)

Security at the GOAT level will select or reject database rows based on the users authorizations to any regular query.

Example: if the division president uses a form to request all sales orders, GOAT will query the database and return only the object data that represents the divisions sales orders.

Form level (view) security will not be enforced by GOAT.

GOAT will also provide object transparency. Meaning that there will not necessarily be a direct relationship between business objects and tables.

3) Sorry but I don't like the acronyms.  Not a big deal however.

4) I think we have more modules than are contained in the white paper. Reinhard did you see my latest diagram or did you have a different concept?

(http://www.gnuenterprise.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=NS-My_eGallery&file=index&do=showpic&pid=31)

Suggest we add
- Security Adapter (we need to consider LDAP, Active Directory, Kerberos)
- Remote Protocol Adapter (CORBA, COM, XML-RPC or other RPC)

Feel free to make up more acronyms.

5) As shown in the Drawing (mentioned above) I think that GEDI is actually several modules. One module for each database to implement the protocol to communicate with the database. And one SQL generator module for unique class of database. It may turn out that each database has its own SQL generator. If so, thats ok. But the SQL generation should be separate from the interface.

Neil