gnucomm-privacy

[Gnucomm-privacy] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Secure VoIP calling - adoped b

From: David Sugar
Subject: [Gnucomm-privacy] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: Secure VoIP calling - adoped by Fedora and Ubuntu GNU/Linux
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 07:14:49 -0500

The barrier to calling "between" SIP providers is the one thing sipwitch
explicitly removes, along with requiring the explicit use of any mediating
providers.  This is because any sipwitch daemon can call an endpoint of any
foreign sipwitch daemon reachable through dns and finding users can then be
simplified to having their sip uri identity match their domain email address.
But this in itself does not answer questions of conferencing.

Multicast could be a wonderful solution for lots of things if it was routed
from the mbone all the way to users through ISP's.  It is not.  One solution
for conferencing, at least for secure audio, is to have each endpoint
establish a separate session with each participant, but clearly that can
become bandwidth intensive for more than a few.  One-to-many is in theory a
simplified and specialized case even without multicast, and I would like to
think about that more.

discuss these things.