Re: [open-cobol-list] inconsistence of the delivery package "open cobol<

From: Brian Tiffin
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] inconsistence of the delivery package "open cobol<>gnu cobol" .
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2014 07:29:18 -0500

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 16:18:53 -0500, john Culleton <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 13:07:27 -0500
"Brian Tiffin" <address@hidden> wrote:

On Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:00:43 -0500, Gilles
Crebassa <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> We try to pull the last version of OpenCobol
> for Testing purpose with my cobol code but
> I'm faced to difficult issue.
>
> On the site http://www.opencobol.org, I see a
> version OpenCOBOL 2.0
> dev2012<http://www.opencobol.org/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?cid=1&lid=8> .
>
> In the same time, you inform that you migrate
> to sourceforge with GNU Cobol
> 1.1
>
> The version OpenCobol provided on sourceforge
> is :
> open-cobol-2.0-feb2012.tar.gz<http://sourceforge.net/projects/open-cobol/files/open-cobol/2.0/open-cobol-2.0-feb2012.tar.gz/download>
> 2013-09-19 The version of GNU Cobol on
> sourceforge is :
> gnu-cobol-1.1.tar.gz<http://sourceforge.net/projects/open-cobol/files/gnu-cobol/1.1/gnu-cobol-1.1.tar.gz/download>
> 2014-01-20
>
> In the part GNU Cobol, the stream 2.0 is
> empty.
>

> in the CVS of sourceforge, I see
> gnu-cobol-1.x and gnu-cobol-2.0
>
> Can you explain what is the "real" last
> version ?

Sorry for the confusion Gilles, my bad, slowly
being merged back to a single release point.

Firstly, opencobol.org is in Mothball.  I
updated the links, recently, in an attempt to
provide proper download choices, but all the
new work and discussions occur on SourceForge
at http://sourceforge.net/projects/open-cobol/

As mentioned by the other responses, the
leading edge release is 2.1 by Ron Norman with
Report Writer.

Stable release is OpenCOBOL 1.1 by Roger While.

I also posted Roger's initial OpenCOBOL 2.0
dev2012 (this is a work in progress cut,
unlikely to see any more changes due to events
beyond anyone's control, but posted out of
respect and admiration)

For safer COBOL, the 1.1 release is stable,
valgrind friendly (no memory leaks detected,
etc).

For more features, FUNCTION-ID and Report
Writer, 2.1 is the latest.  Once Simon (and I,
but sadly, most of the burden has fallen to
Simon) get the various changes merged into
trunk, there will be work on the 2.1 version.
2.0 (Roger's initial work) and the 2.1 branch,
while more feature rich are not quite yet
valgrind friendly.  There are leaks in the
compiler and also in some features with
compiled COBOL programs.  These issues don't
seem to be stopping anyone from writing
production level code, but no one likes
potholes, so efforts will soon turn to filling
in the edge cases and getting back to a higher
level of trust.

I use the 2.1 reportwriter branch for all my
experiments now, and it works great, but does
make valgrind complain a little.

In short.  OpenCOBOL 1.1-Feb 2009 has a 5 year
track record now, and is likely the version
you'll see in various GNU/Linux package
distribution repositories.   GNU Cobol 2.1 is
the leading edge version where all the new cool
stuff will happen.

OpenCOBOL 1.0 is still in some repos, as it was
the first stamped release back in 2007.

And, just to add to the party.  Sergey Kashryin
has posted a C++ emitting version, based on
2.0, now the gnu-cobol-cpp branch.  And Joe
Robbins has been hard at work on a fileio
simplification, based on 1.1, that again, will
likely be merged into the 2.1 tree sometime
soon.

For a quick view see
http://sourceforge.net/p/open-cobol/code/HEAD/tree/branches/

gnu-cobol-1.x will eventually become an
official GNU Cobol release hosted on the GNU
sites, probably as gnu-cobol-1.2

It will be shortly thereafter be superceded by
GNU Cobol 2.1 (labeled the "reportwriter"
branch on SourceForge). This will be sistered
with Sergey's gnu-cobol-cpp C++ emitter.

Shorter answer.

OpenCOBOL 1.1 Feb 2009 is likely the version
most people have installed. GNU Cobol 1.1 is a
rebranding of OC1.1 with some patches. GNU
Cobol 2.1 reportwriter will soon be trunk
**This is the feature-richest version** GNU
Cobol CPP for anyone interested in a C++ version

Shortest answer:

GNU Cobol 1.1 posted to Savannah
GNU Cobol 2.1 posted to SourceForge as
branches/reportwriter or
GNU Cobol cpp posted to SourceForge as
branches/gnu-cobol-cpp

I do apologize for the mishmash.  I thought
releasing 2.0 early was a nice thing (and it
was, **nice**, just not **smart**), but turns
out to have created a splintering effect.  Like
a broken mirror, all the pieces give a full
reflection, but now the task is to rebuild and
merge back to a single source release.

For the next few months;
OpenCOBOL 1.1 for auditor friendly COBOL for
production GNU Cobol 2.1 reportwriter for the
newest funnest features, and as Simon says,
"with a taste of Beta".

Joe could probably use more feedback on the
fileiorewrite branch and Sergey's C++ version
can't be ignored either (and it won't).

And yes, this re-merge and official release
path for GNU is taking too long.  My bad.

Sincerely,
Brian

> http://about.me/crebassa.gilles

Flow-based real-time traffic analytics
software. Cisco certified tool. Monitor
traffic, SLAs, QoS, Medianet, WAAS etc. with
NetFlow Analyzer Customize your own dashboards,
set traffic alerts and generate reports.
Network behavioral analysis & security
monitoring. All-in-one tool.

OK. Is there a tarball version of 2.1 or must I
fiddle with an svn download?

Are these versions all 64 bit friendly?

Yeah, sorry for the late response John.

I use a copy for verifying GNU Cobol and the cloud with Juju Charms by Canonical.

Snag http://peoplecards.ca/files/gnu-cobol-2.1.tar.gz and try it out. This builds during spin up of a Ubuntu virtual machine and has been testing out great. (The install of the instance spins up COBOL, compiles a web bundle (with a Report Writer sample, wrapped in web output - SUPER easy), configures apache and presents a few CGI/AJAX and cobweb features.

https://code.launchpad.net/~bwtiffin/charms/raring/gnucobol-sample/trunk

(The "bug" is the submission request. Team Juju Charms is holding a PR event, submit deadline was today, been busy learning new things). The COBOL source bundle is stashed at http://peoplecards.ca/files/gnu-cobol-sample.tar.gz

And yes on 64 bit builds.

I'm impressed with virtualization as it stands. I'm running Fedora on a small machine, running a virsh image of Ubuntu. The Ubuntu image then spins up a local cloud for Juju charm deployment testing. Flawless so far, ummm, except when it's my fault, and even then, flawless in catching the muck ups.

Your efforts are appreciated!

Appreciation is appreciated right back. We get a pretty nice gift with GNU Cobol, don't we? Many doors to open and opportunities knocking...

Depending on the Charm feedback, should be able to focus on getting 2.1 merged up to trunk, then start a pre-release discussion pass with Simon, and Ron, and Sergey and Joe. It's been a long time coming, and it's close now.

Cheers,
Brian