Re: [open-cobol-list] Re : CALL SYSTEM OR CALL "SYSTEM"

From: Roger While
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Re : CALL SYSTEM OR CALL "SYSTEM"
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:34:09 +0100

OK. Simple update to OC default definitiions.

Bill, do you really want to accept
the  UPPER-CASE extension ?
What's wrong with LOCALE-UPPER-CASE ?
(and everthing that has either a keyowrd or a
 optional param)

In fact I object to using Cobol keywords
as params.

A language should be implemtable as a subset
of the language.

Roger

Roger,
  Every Standard that I know of has allowed one to pass EITHER an 01-level
*OR* an elementary item.  What was disallowed was passing a group-item that
wasn't an 01-level, i.e. "intermediate" group item.

The '02 Standard removed this restriction (which almost no actual
implementations previously enforced).  See the substantive change:

"10) CALL argument level numbers. CALL arguments may be elementary or groups
with any level number. Formerly, they had to be elementary or have a level
number of 1 or 77."