[open-cobol-list] Mac OS 10.4 - Make error

From: David Wilson - Geek NZ
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Mac OS 10.4 - Make error
Date: Tue Oct 25 01:10:17 2005

Hello...

I'm looking for some help. I have posted this message to the opencobol.org web site in the FAQ area, and thought that I'd submit it here too.

I am using opencobol 0.32 the latest release.

I'm working through the install documentation, have completed the ./ configure successfully. When executing make I recieve the following error...

david:~/Desktop/open-cobol-0.32 dgwilson$ make
Creating defaults.h...
make  all-recursive
Making all in lib
rm -f libsupport.a
ar cru libsupport.a
ar: no archive members specified
usage:  ar -d [-TLsv] archive file ...
        ar -m [-TLsv] archive file ...
        ar -m [-abiTLsv] position archive file ...
        ar -p [-TLsv] archive [file ...]
        ar -q [-cTLsv] archive file ...
        ar -r [-cuTLsv] archive file ...
        ar -r [-abciuTLsv] position archive file ...
        ar -t [-TLsv] archive [file ...]
        ar -x [-ouTLsv] archive [file ...]
make[2]: *** [libsupport.a] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

Any ideas? Is the "ar" implementation different for some reason?

FYI, summary outout from ./configure

OpenCOBOL Configuration:

  COB_CC               gcc
  CFLAGS               -g -O2
  COB_CFLAGS           -I${prefix}/include
COB_LIBS -L${exec_prefix}/lib -lcob -lm -lgmp -lltdl - lncurses
  COB_CONFIG_DIR       ${prefix}/share/open-cobol/config
  COB_LIBRARY_PATH     .:${exec_prefix}/lib/open-cobol
  COB_MODULE_EXT       dylib
  COB_SHARED_OPT       -dynamiclib
  COB_PIC_FLAGS         -fno-common -DPIC
  COB_EXPORT_DYN
  COB_STRIP_CMD        strip -x

  Use gettext for international messages:      no
  Use Berkeley DB for file I/O:                no
  Use fcntl for file locking:                  yes
  Use ncurses for screen I/O:                  yes

Thank you and I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

- David