[open-cobol-list] Questions and comments

From: Roger While
Subject: [open-cobol-list] Questions and comments
Date: Tue Jan 11 03:36:11 2005

Can somebody take a look at aclocal.m4 at lines
2873 and 5106.
What's the tilde '~' doing there ?
I don't think it should be there.
(This propagates into the configure script)
It is in a quoted string that extends over 7 lines but I
still don't see why it's there.

When we generate a cobol module ("-m"), I believe we
should be generating position independent code (PIC).
Under Linux gcc/ld this is "-DPIC -fPIC".
This is tested for in the configure script and is available in
an environment variable (lt_prog_compiler_pic). We could
push this out into config.h and pick it up in cobc.c to pass it
to the compiler/linker.

Also, at the moment, hard-coded into cobc.c is the export-symbols
option. We could/should do the same for this. The variable is already there
for cobcrun. It just needs generating into config.h.

Comments ?

Roger