Re: [open-cobol-list] MiniListing already (full) implemented ? TODO or

From: Thomas Biehler
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] MiniListing already (full) implemented ? TODO or NEWS (STATUS?)
Date: Fri Mar 5 06:47:03 2004

On Friday 05 March 2004 12:56, Keisuke Nishida wrote:
> At Fri, 5 Mar 2004 10:25:37 +0100,
>
> address@hidden wrote:
> > I have seen the changes for "MiniListing" ( cobc -t ) in CVS.
> > You have not announced it yet!?   --> which status has it ?
>
> I preliminarily implemented it as a trial.  It's not working
> as you expect, but might be better than nothing.

Yes!
That is what i have assumed!   ;-)
(But, this feature request does not hurry!)
I have asked my question as a example to demonstrate
how hard it currently is, to gain and hold an overview
over the project status. And i am not new to this project!

But with the maintaned TODO  / NEWS  files, good cvs commit messages
and the improved testsuite (perhaps with realizing only_requested_feature.at
and in_working_feature.at) it improves more and more!
(Perhaps a tool for evaluate cvs-log is here also TODO !?)

I think a prerequisite to share the work!  (efficient!)

If the "basic structure" of the project would be not good enough,
some additional mail traffic will be necessary!
(needs time  -> and is (too) slow ; remember the different timezones!)
IMHO too much mail traffic!

But the current progress of the "basic structure" is great!
In my view the right way!

Really, I appreciate it!

> > If i should write the STATUS file / website,
> > there are many open questions, i haved asked before,
> > without answers !?
> > (form, content, website in cvs, toolchain ...)
>
> I think anything is OK.  If you can do it, just do it as you
> like.  I appreciate it if you could rewrite our website from
> scratch and maintain it.  I just don't have enough time to do
> everything by myself.
>
> Keisuke

Well, i will think about it. No promise yet!
I need time to refresh my web knowledge
I have to reorganize my personal TODO.  ;-)

Some of my tasks have higher priority!

OPEN-COBOL:
===========
   - generate feature request for "EXIT PERFORM"  (MF / ISO 2002)
   - generate feature request for better error messages
        (format, alternative : mulit-row-messages  error-numbers ...)
   - known cygwin problems:   some observations from my tests / try's
       (If nobody requests / uses cygwin --> priority decreases strong )
   - help with writing autotests ...
   - using  / integrating splint !?
   - using /  integrating doxygen  ?!
   - generate feature request for FUNCTION SQRT / UPPER
   - generate (only syntax!  --> evaluate as a comment)  feature request
      "LOCK MODE IS MANUAL / AUTOMATIC .... WITH "
   - generate feature request for "&" - Concatenation - Operator
    (ISO 2002 / MF-Extensions)
   - generate feature request for "$SET  $IF ..." MF-Extensions ...
   - discussion: truncation of identifiers longer than 30 chars to 30 chars !?
   - test "release candiate" on aix 4.3  / aix 5.1 platform

IMO some of the topics are more important.  Perhaps you disagree !?
Let me know.

I have seen you haved work VERY hard!
(I have always seen the timestamps of your "puplic" actions! ;-) )

Many, many  thanks from me!

But i agree with you, you can NOT do it alone!
Really nobody is able to do this!
That is normal in active/growing projects!  :-(
You have asked for helping make the documentation and
now you ask me for helping make the STATUS / website.

That is the right way!
You are the project admin and can / shall !!! request for help!
Perhaps you should give prioritys!
(What do you want or plan to do ?)

In a long view the project has to grow!
If not, then IMO,  it will not be alive in future days!  :-((
But that is also normal!

I try to support you as good i can.
But if would give all my time to the project
then we are only two persons!
(Perhaps i have missed someone ?  Sorry!)
That could help only a short time!
I hope you see the problem!

The only solution that i see is:
- make it good and easy for users (=support!),
- show what the project can (already) do, (good marketing!)
- make stable,  powerfull releases!  (--> low priority thinks later!)
   (Everbody loves a good release strategy!)
- show that the project is active !
(--> Important step to reach  new users / contributors /developers
     They must trust to the project before they investe time!)

That are all important tasks for a project admin!
(need you help here ?  please think about it)
(Not only in this project!)

If that will be done, the project will be (further) successfully!

Thomas

P.S. my mail-sending problem to this list is solved !  :-)
       I hope for others, that are good news!  :-))