RE: [open-cobol-list] Some more errors

From: William M. Klein
Subject: RE: [open-cobol-list] Some more errors
Date: Tue Mar 2 14:13:03 2004

See below

________________________________

        From: address@hidden
[mailto:address@hidden On Behalf Of Margit
Schubert-While
        Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 2:32 PM
        To: address@hidden
        Subject: [open-cobol-list] Some more errors

        1) Following produces "invalid expression" :
                EVALUATE Blah-blah
                WHEN > "aa"

                or even :
                WHEN >= "aa"

>>>  This is "partial expression" support that is NOT valid in the '85
Standard, but is valid (as an extension) with Micro Focus.  It is added in
the 2002 Standard as "conforming".  (see recent discussion)

        2) Following produces "Invalid MOVE"
                03  MYITEM PIC 9(10).

                MOVE SPACES to MYITEM (4,2)

>>>  You need to use a colon ":" - not a comma - if you want to use
reference modification.

                This is legal according to ansi85, I quote from "Reference
Modification" :
                "If the data item referenced by data-name-1 is described as
numeric,
                numeric edited, alphabetic or alphanumeric edited, it is
operated upon
                for purposes of reference modification as if it were
redefined as an
                alphanumeric data item of the same size as the data item
referenced by
                data-name-1".

        3) Can you add "SYSLST" alongside SYSIN and SYSOUT ? It is accepted
by mainframe.

        4) Still don't agree with the last redefines change :-)

        Roger While