Re: [open-cobol-list] calling std c library calls from cobol and cob_ins

From: Keisuke Nishida
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] calling std c library calls from cobol and cob_inspect_tallying() segmentation violation
Date: Tue Jun 4 18:50:12 2002

At Tue, 04 Jun 2002 09:31:03 -0600,
Richard A. Painter <address@hidden> wrote:

> 1. i want to use static linking however, when i try to use -static
> cobc complains telling me i must use -m since i use CALL USING.  is
> this true that dynamic linking MUST be used if one uses CALL USING?

No.  The compiler shows the warning when you use
PROCEDURE DIVISION USING, not CALL USING.  All the `-m' option
implies is that the program does not have main() function.
It should be independent of the -static/-dynamic options.

> 2. how does one call a standard c library call from a cobol program?
> this is not addressed in the online docs.  does this change when using
> static or dynamic linking?

Static linking should work.  The following program works for me:

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
PROGRAM-ID. sample.
PROCEDURE DIVISION.
CALL "pause".