gnucobol-dev

Re: [GnuCOBOL-Dev] GnuCOBOL file description

From: Simon Sobisch
Subject: Re: [GnuCOBOL-Dev] GnuCOBOL file description
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2019 23:35:23 +0200

In general I like the idea, also for more than IX (and for each IX, not
only BDB) given the notes below.

Some things to consider:

1 most important: the data dictionary should be optional, if it exist it
should be used for verification and possible additional tools

2 The actual library after IX should be removed (most files will be
created with the default library) and it would be bad to have to change
the type when "temporary/output only" files are now created with a
different library.

3 the data dictionary should not take the file basename but the assign
name (which is used in runtime settings for the data otherwise contained
in the dd), this also allows for an optional COB_DICTIONARY_PATH.

4 another new optional entry (maybe one per line) should be added to
contain field descriptions, this allows us to have both external tools
as also a possible cob_file utility to nicely show the files and convert
it (also from/to CSV, for example) those lines should *not* be used for
verification and should support REDEFINE/group items (maybe more or less
copy the FD entries for the file?)

Simon