gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] incomplete stuff

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] incomplete stuff
Date: Mon, 25 May 2015 03:53:45 -0400

On Friday 20 March 2015, Felix Salfelder wrote:
> > To me, the highest priority in gnucap now is to finish the
> > incomplete work we have.  There is lots of it!
>
> my favourites are the build system and the output
> pluggability. i need help/input to get this done. without
> these, the work on the qucs-plugins is in limbo, no matter
> what happens to adms.

Top priority to me is to bring in the extra features in the
forks gnucap-uf and gnucap-arails making them available to
everyone without making an all or nothing trade.  Most of the
changes should be plugins.  The gnucap-plugins repository exists
for this purpose.  Part of the intent of the plugin system is to
enable what would otherwise require many private forks, without
real forks.

To do this, some changes to the core library are needed.
Looking at gnucap-uf and gnucap-arails, they have some core
changes.  Some changes are good and should be accepted into the
main gnucap.  Some changes are arbitrary.  Some are defective or
harmful.  All of that needs to be presented and reviewed.

The main gnucap, especially the core library, is maintained to a
high standard, carefully reviewed.  The plugins in the gnucap-
plugins repository are intended as not formally reviewed.

The build system is a high priority to me too, but the autotools
branch is very far from complete, clean, and stable.  Even if it
were ready for release, the intent of the development branches
in the main repository is that all real development happens in
the development branches, each with a purpose, differing from
master or unstable only in what is being developed there,
expecting to do a fast-forward merge for final acceptance.
Until then, you can use it as a substitute for master, which
tests it, finding bugs and other needed changes.

A proper configuration system should be modular, or at least
look like a module, with a well defined interface to the rest of
the program.  With reasonable modularity, it should be simple to
substitute a different configuration system or even manual
configuration.  Also, the configuration system should do only
configuration.  Anything else is a violation of the principles
of modularity.

Most plugins are single files and should not require a build
system.  Everything needed should be available when the program
is installed.  The scripts must not be tied to a particular main
program build system.  If they are, that build system is not
ready for merge to master.  It's still a work in progress.

Of my own incomplete work. I wish I could get onto the verilog-
modelgen, but the highest priority is to finish some details of
the plugin system, particularly loading directories and
compiling.  The build system depends on this, so the build
system cannot be considered complete until this is done.

Also, we need to consider ports to non-gnu systems, particularly
Apple and Microsoft.  Even if not explicitly supported, we need
to be careful to not explicitly block those platforms by issues
in the build system.

The qucs-plugins ....  Notice that the word plugins is plural.
When complete, there will be a collection of them.  Each one can
be completed one at a time, gradually adding to the completeness
of the system.  Only one of them is dependent on gnucap output
pluggability.  Temporarily, a suitable workaround would be a
postprocessor program that takes a gnucap output file as inputs
and generates a qucs dataset file.

More important, on the qucs-plugins, we need to define the
goals.  That's another email.