gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] savannah git repositories

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] savannah git repositories
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 00:52:17 +0200

Hi Al.

On Sat, Sep 13, 2014 at 05:40:10PM -0400, al davis wrote:
> I inquired about that a while back.  I can't set up the extra
> repositories myself.  I need to ask for them.  I can ask.

thats good. (but i didn't expect that you cannot do that...).

> I think the best choice is somewhere between (2) and (3), so at
> top level there are just a few, and then we have branches under
> that.
>
> For now .. how about 2 new ones.  One is "plugins".  The other
> is "tools" or "utilities".

i would really like to not mix up different projects. for git experts it
might only be extra hassle to make it work in a usual way. but i prefer
accessibility and stick to some conventions such as

$ git clone somewhere/gnucap-whatever
should create gnucap-whatever, which contains whatever (and nothing
else).  and
$ cd gnucap-whatever; git branch -a
should list branches of whatever, no more no less.
$ git checkout <branchname>
doesn't do anything unexpected.

multiple unrelated branches in one repo are hard to look through.
branches are topics related to one and the same codebase usually. only
one branch can be "master" (.git/HEAD). and this branch can only point
to one project

> With this setup, the existing models*, Abhinav's and Rhshabh's
> work, geda .. go in plugins.  adms goes in tools.

it might make sense to merge abhinavs and rishabs work into one repo.
maybe together with gnucap-{bm,jack} which have similar structure. otoh,
none of them is really ready, and they need to be worked on
individually. this is really a lot of work which i will not do anytime
soon. gnucap-{geda,adms} are seperate packages. there's no way i will
mix them up with other parts. still i think additional savannah projects
are the wrong track.

the proposed gnucap-{bsim,jspice,ngspice,spice} should perhaps go into
(a single branch of) gnucap-plugins-spice.git, if the resepective
licenses are all sufficiently equal (i haven't checked).

so how about asking for the repositories
gnucap-adms.git
gnucap-bm.git
gnucap-geda.git
gnucap-gtk.git
gnucap-jack.git
gnucap-rishabh.git (better, more descriprive name?)
gnucap-plugins-spice.git?
i'm sure the savannah hackers will not mind. i can help with populating
them...

cheers
felix