gnucap-devel

Re: [Gnucap-devel] New Developer

From: Felix Salfelder
Subject: Re: [Gnucap-devel] New Developer
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 10:57:20 +0200

Hi Aidan.

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 09:28:35PM -0700, Aidan Macdonald wrote:
> I would like to develop for Gnucap. I have several years experience
> programming in many languages including C and C++. I have designed a small
> hardware emulator for GPIB Controllers. I am a Computer Engineering and
> Physics student at UC San Diego.

welcome!

> How may I begin to contribute to Gnucap?

this perhaps depends on who you ask. here's my (probably incomplete)
list of favourites:

- build system/make gnucap ready for non-developers
  finalize/test a standard build system. straighten up packaging, c.f.
  [1]. incorporate the test suite. add on-demand plugin compilation.
  proper support for extension packages. etc.

- code cleanup
  get rid of obsolete_* functions, rearrange output plugins. things like
  that.

- increase functionality. implement analyses such as pz, sens, ...

- (more complex) implement an icarus verilog based code generator. or
  just any other extension.

- (gsoc: there is work in progress. but i'm not up to date, sorry)

some of this is on the way (e.g. within gnucap-uf). some is ready-for
test/feedback/merge [2]. everything needs work.

have fun
felix

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/693267
[2] http://savannah.gnu.org/git/?group=gnucap