gnuastro-devel

[task #16239] NoiseChisel option to avoid interpolation for thresholds o

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #16239] NoiseChisel option to avoid interpolation for thresholds or Sky
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 11:18:37 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 0%
             Assigned to: makhlaghi
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Sat 30 Jul 2022 04:18:35 PM BST By: Mohammad Akhlaghi <makhlaghi>
Currently NoiseChisel does nearest neighbor interpolation for estimating the
Sky and all the intermediary thresholds (like the quantile threshold and etc).
This is done to remove gradients caused by the sky or prior processing steps.

But in some scenarios, the extended signal structure is very large (covering
almost all the image) and low-S/N (and therefore not properly detectable).
When it is possible to assume that the sky is a constant across the image, in
such cases, we can simply use a single constant for our thresholds and Sky
estimation.

Currently the only way we can do this is to use the `--checksky` option and
use the statistics of the tiles used (before interpolation):

$ astnoisechisel image.fits --checksky --oneelempertile
$ sky=$(aststatistics image_sky.fits -hSKY --median)
$ astarithmetic image.fits $sky - --output=input-no-sky.fits

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?16239>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/