gnuastro-devel

[bug #62694] Radial profile script overestimates the surface brightness

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [bug #62694] Radial profile script overestimates the surface brightness error
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2022 12:47:31 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: infantesainz
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Follow-up Comments:

Date: Fri 01 Jul 2022 05:47:29 PM BST By: Mohammad Akhlaghi <makhlaghi>
One of the most common usages of the radial profile script is to generate the
surface brightness radial profile. But we also need error-bars on the radial
profile, so these are the two respective MakeCatalog measurements that can be
requested from the radial profile script: '--surfacebrightness --sberror'

However, after comparing the values of '--sberror' with the scatter of surface
brightnesses of mock images (same underlying profile, only with a different
random number generator seed), we noticed that the '--sberror' column is
overestimating the errors in the central parts.

This problem was found by Raul Infante-Sainz.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?62694>

Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/