gnuastro-devel

[task #14639] Table arithmetic operator to find rows within given region

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [task #14639] Table arithmetic operator to find rows within given region
Date: Fri, 8 May 2020 21:00:50 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #16, task #14639 (project gnuastro):

I don't understand why you think the ID column is required? If a user wants
the ID, they will ask for it with the `--column' option. it is unrelated to
the coordinates and if they are in the polygon or not!

Some tables may not have any ID column at all ;-)!

As I mentioned before this option is very similar to the `--range' option
(that only takes one input column) and takes the parameters afterwards. For
example try this command to find the RA, DEC and SPECZ column values of the
rows where the `MAG_F225W' is between 29 and 30.

asttable uvudf_rafelski_2015.fits.gz --range=MAG_F225W,29,30 -cRA,DEC,SPECZ

You see, there is no ID involved, but it works, if you want the ID, you can
change the `-c' option value to `RA,DEC,SPECZ,ID' or `RA,DEC,ID,SPECZ' (or any
order you want).

Its the same here.

If its not clear, we can talk by video-chat.

Some other side-notes:

* Please put your commit directly over my commit, after fetching your recent
commit, I noticed that the hash of my commit has changed and your commit has
come over the modified commit. I don't have the time to go look to see what
has been changed in my original commit. So to help us collaborate
better/faster, in such scenarios, please be sure that your commit is exactly
over my original commit so I can focus exactly on what you have done.

* About style issues like extra space and comment style, the whole purpose of
such standards is to avoid bugs and make the code easier to read. So in fact,
the most important time they should be implemented is during the coding, not
after it ;-). Please configure your text editor to remove any trailing
white-space when the file is being saved and correctly write the comments from
the start. Otherwise this different style again doesn't let me focus on your
actual work.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14639>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/