gnuastro-devel

[gnuastro-devel] [task #14245] Root data structure

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [gnuastro-devel] [task #14245] Root data structure
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2016 14:51:00 +0000 (UTC)

                 Privacy: Public
        Percent Complete: 10%
             Assigned to: makhlaghi
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
                  Effort: 0.00

Details:

In an analysis, data can have multiple dimensions: in a table, each column
only has one dimension, in an image we have a 2D dataset and in a datacube, we
have 3D data.

Currently in Gnuastro all the different information about a dataset is kept in
the main program structures and when passed to a library it is neccesary to
pass along all this information. For example the array keeping the data, the
size of the array (in 1D or 2D, so far), its WCS information, if it has any
blank values and so on. This makes reading the code harder and can also be
buggy. It also makes general modifications (for example enabling Gnuastro's
operation on 3D datasets) hard.

So I am now working on a general library header and functions for data arrays
(`data.h', see it in my fork
<https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/gnuastro/blob/datastruct/lib/gnuastro/data.h>).
The basic idea is that all the major arrays in Gnuastro be converted to this
format to make it much more easier to deal with any general array/dataset.

Most of the functions to do with datatypes (for example converting one
datatype to another) which are currently defined in `fits.h' are going to be
moved in this header.

This is currently a low-level work in progress and will take some time, so
please share your thoughts and suggestions if you have any. I am pushing my
work on it in my development fork under the datastruct
<https://gitlab.com/makhlaghi/gnuastro/branches> branch.

  <http://savannah.gnu.org/task/?14245>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.gnu.org/