What we need for the Internet of Stings

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: What we need for the Internet of Stings
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 21:43:43 -0500

Most of the devices offered for the "internet of things" are designed
to mistreat the users.  They communicatte with the user only via the
manufacturer's server, which means the manufacturer records all
commands sent to the device and all responses.

That is part of why I call it the "internet of stings".

To make these devices respect users' freedom, they ought to be
designed with standard _local_ interfaces that can talk directly
with the user's own computer.  Of course, if the software in the device
is ever to be upgraded, it must be free software.

If the device is designed that way, it may be fine for it to use
any free kernel you would use in a computer.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)