Re: RMS: users request you perhaps program HURD: they fear the path the

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: RMS: users request you perhaps program HURD: they fear the path the linux kernel is going.
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 14:23:42 +0530

* Alexander Vdolainen <address@hidden> [2019-11-12 14:14]:
> however, if we're going to speak about GNU system we're limited with a few
> components:
>  - GNU userland - ok it exists
>  - GNU toolchain - yep it works
>  - GNU kernel/system services - ... nope
> I know linux kernel just works, but it's not a GNU project.

Software need not be GNU project to be part of GNU. A purely GNU
system includes, by definition, non-GNU packages:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-misc-discuss/2019-11/msg00356.html
https://www.gnu.org/gnu/manifesto.html

Quote from GNU Manifesto:

"When the kernel and compiler are finished, it will be possible to
distribute a GNU system suitable for program development. We will use
TeX as our text formatter, but an nroff is being worked on. We will
use the free, portable X Window System as well."

GNU/Linux-libre is GNU project. Please see:
https://www.gnu.org/s/linux-libre

Thus GNU has the kernel Linux-libre, and Hurd, and other kernels could
become GNU project.

GNU system was not envisioned to be purely GNU system from its
inception.

Jean