Re: Truth in Software: Alexandre François Garreau: Will you try my free

From: nipponmail
Subject: Re: Truth in Software: Alexandre François Garreau: Will you try my free-software before condemning it. -- Source and the pitfalls of dynamic linking
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 19:24:05 +0000

To actually get the game to run, no matter what, on nearly ANY GNU+Linux distro:
I suggest you simply execute: [   wine xonotic.exe    ]

The engine source is in darkplaces-AESCrypto-linux.zip
In /source/ this is pointed out.
That is where you find the info on how to compile the engine correctly (note: you are compiling for xonotic, and you want crypto support, read about it in the engine texts)

That also has the crypto libs _I_ use, and which are used for some of the included binaries.
However _YOU_ might want to use your distro's supplied crypto libs.

The linux-mint how-to you read was supplied by _ANOTHER_ Dev/User: as a favor to those who want to do just that (use their own distros crypto libs), you can use gnutls, libblind0, and such.

The ISO's supply multiple binaries for various OSs and linux distros, in ADDITION to ALL the source code: because ... well people don't want to read the engine manual and do it themselves: it's as simple as that:

Gnu+Linux:
(Debian OldStable)
xonotic-AESCrypto-linux32-glx
xonotic-AESCrypto-linux32-sdl
xonotic-AESCrypto-linux64-glx
xonotic-AESCrypto-linux64-sdl
(with scripts to make things easier if you want: xonotic-AESCrypto-linux-glx.sh xonotic-AESCrypto-linux-sdl.sh )
(Mint)
mintXonotic-AESCrypto-linux64-tara-glx
mintXonotic-AESCrypto-linux64-tara-sdl

OSX:
Xonotic.app

Windows/Gnu+Linux+Wine
xonotic.exe
xonotic-sdl.exe
xonotic-x64.exe
xonotic-x64-sdl.exe
altXonotic2017.exe

You might ask "Why, Why do this, why all these binaries?"
Well, it wouldn't be needed if we statically (true static) compiled it all.
But I do not know how to accomplish that, nor do the engine devs.

(Note: there is also altXonotic2017-linux.zip, for more linux bins, but those don't have crypto support (the new Xonotic guys can't figure out how to compile the crypto libs in... even though we have....)
(Note: the ALT-binaries are simply from the Xonotic compiles)

You could also just copy over your distro's Xonotic linux binary, but I bet those wouldn't have the crypto libs compiled in, so just use one of the above, or compile the ENGINE yourself. Just read the fucking readmes in the __ENGINE__ zip'd source directories: rember: the game is xonotic, and you want the crypto libs compiled. When you do it: write a Readme about what you did, from installing the needed libs on your distro, etc. Then send the info to us, and tell us it's GPL etc (your writing), and we'll put your tips in the distribution too (just like the linux mint tips)

I wish we could easily statically compile this, but GCC doesn't do real static compiling anymore.