Re: “Free Software should be community developed” (was: (Really) Fre

From: Alexandre François Garreau
Subject: Re: “Free Software should be community developed” (was: (Really) Free Software future)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 2019 17:57:52 +0100

Le jeudi 7 novembre 2019, 05:43:26 CET Richard Stallman a écrit :
>   > > Free Software should be community developed. There is no problem
>   > > for companies to contribute but they absolutely should not be
>   > > the the driven factor.
>   >
>   > Iʼm afraid, implementing that maxim would undermine the goal of
>   > the free software movement, which is to make _all_ software free
>   > (= eliminate nonfree software);
>
> My view is somewhere between those two statements.
> We should not let companies dominate the free software movement,
> but we encourage companies to develop and release free programs.

But then what if companies dominate most software (as this a wider social and
economical issue)?  If they don’t let individuals do that, and if individuals
are too few, lack time or money? Is that a software freedom issue? Should that
be a reason not to expect and ask for all software to be free?

PS : this discussion doesn’t seem to be that technical anymore, bother moving
it to gnu-misc-discuss?