Re: Why will no-one sue GrSecurity for their blatant GPL violation (of G

From: gameonlinux
Subject: Re: Why will no-one sue GrSecurity for their blatant GPL violation (of GCC and the linux kernel)?
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2019 05:12:10 +0000

I am a lawyer. GrSecurity is violating section 6 of version 2 of the GPL, which is the license in question.

GrSecurity does not have an independent right to create nor distribute non-separable derivative works of the Work(s) in question. By default they have NO right to do so.

The copyright holders have unilaterally granted permission (it is not a contract: there is no consideration (payment) on the side of GrSecurity in-order to receive these permissions) to others, but not in an unlimited fastion.

The Copyright holders have chosen to decide that any derivative work can ONLY be distributed if NO additional restrictive terms are proffered between the licensee and furthur licensees.

Section 6 states this. If the licensee proffers additional restrictive terms his license is terminated [(note: the copyright holder, in this case, can also step in and terminate the license for any reason he wishes: the free-licensee does not have any contract-law breach-of-contract defenses to raise against the copyright owner since there is no contract: only a copyright license (permission) (not a copyright license contract (bargained for rights purchased from the copyright owner))].

Here GrSecurity (Open Source Security) has, indeed, produced an additional restrictive term governing the relationship between it and the further-licensees relating back to the Work(s) in question.

GrSecurity's restrictive covenant can also be shown to the court to have been a success additionally: no down-the-line licensee has defied it and released the source code.

Under the Original Copyright Owners writing, which is explained in detail in the license, the down-the-line licensees are to have Free choice in distributing any derivative work (obviously the derivative work has to be non-seperable, grsec is non-seperable, that is not in dispute). Here GrSecurity requires them to agree /not/ to ever exercise that which the Copyright holders explicitly permitted and forbade the excision of.

Yes, GrSecurity's writing is an additional restrictive term, yes they are violating the express terms of the license, yes they are committing copyright infringement, yes their license has terminated.

And yes IAAL.

The courts do NOT take your absolute-literal-we-can't-do-anything-about-it programmer's approach.

Anyway, I was not asking if you think it is a violation: I know it is a violation, and a blatant one at that: I'm asking why no-one will SUE them for it, so far.

You can read a good write-up here:
perens.com/2017/06/28/warning-grsecurity-potential-contributory-infringement-risk-for-customers/