Re: Free-Software Youtube downloader

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Free-Software Youtube downloader
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 22:32:33 -0400

  > No, youtube.com does not really conceal direct links to the video.
  > On the contrary, is provides them in machine-readable way.  As a
  > proof of concept, try this piece of mess in context of a page:

There is a free Firefox extension called Viewtube which makes use of this
and works to watch youtube videos.

It is bundled with IceCat, the GNU version of Firefox.

Although the code of Firefox is free, its trademark license
has the consequence that Firefox as such isn't free software
unless you remove those trademarks.  That is the first reason
for having IceCat.  However, we have also made changes to better
protect users' privacy and freedom -- for instance, it doesn't
recommend nonfree extensions.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)