Re: (Really) Free Software future

From: marinus.savoritias
Subject: Re: (Really) Free Software future
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2019 21:35:59 +0200 (CEST)

But that is achieved with forks of systemd tools and messing with the source code.
How does that make GNOME independent from Systemd?

Fannys

Oct 14, 2019, 20:59 by address@hidden:
On Mon, 2019-10-14 at 21:32 +0300, Alexander Vdolainen wrote:
Hi,

On 10/14/19 9:16 PM, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-10-14 at 18:52 +0200, Svante Signell wrote:
> > On Mon, 2019-10-14 at 12:13 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> > > On Mon, 2019-10-14 at 12:07 +0200, Svante Signell wrote:

(skipped)

> For example, no aspect of either GNOME or systemd are proprietary,
> using the common meaning of the term. Also, "lock-in" usually refers
> to software that prevents users from switching to an alternative; GNOME
> and systemd are certainly not lock-in.

I'm afraid but I cannot agree with that. Actually with systemd design
you have 'lock-in', because in some cases you need to modify a source
code to support systemd (or you will face something like this -
https://superuser.com/questions/1372963/how-do-i-keep-systemd-from-killing-my-tmux-sessions).
Also, a lot of system daemons has eaten by systemd (and to make it works
some forks were created like eudev).
Finally, correct me if I wrong, but GNOME 3.8 and newer requires systemd
to run, it's a lock-in isn't it ?
I'm assuming by GNOME you mean gnome-shell. Please let me know if I'm
incorrect.

Guix has packaged gnome-shell 3.30.2 but has not packaged systemd.
If systemd was a requirement for gnome-shell guix would have had to package
systemd in order for gnome-shell to compile and/or work, by definition of
requirement.
gnome-shell builds and works just fine in guix.
It follows that systemd is not a prerequisite for gnome-shell 3.30.2.

Please consider this a friendly correction :)