Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project

From: Dmitry Alexandrov
Subject: Re: Joint statement on the GNU Project
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 22:14:54 +0300

Taylan Kammer <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 07.10.2019 16:32, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>>    https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/joint-statement-on-the-gnu-project/
>
> Some drama about this leaked out of my mailing list-specific sub-folders
> (which I only skim occasionally) into my main INBOX, so of course I had to
> jump straight into it even though I'm barely around these days. ;-)
>
> Jokes aside, I wanted to ask:
>
> Hasn't RMS already officially stepped down?  What position does he hold
> within today's GNU project other than being a wise old person (wise with
> respect to his topics of expertise) who is respected a lot?

Relevant mails from RMS himself are below.  (Please note, that newsgroup, as it
often happens on Gmane, is misnamed, it’s GNU’s ML, not FSF’s.)

--- Begin Message --- Subject: GNU Project Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 13:20:25 -0400

On September 16 I resigned as president of the Free Software
Foundation, but the GNU Project and the FSF are not the same.
I am still the head of the GNU Project (the Chief GNUisance),
and I intend to continue as such.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)

If you have a working or partly working program that you'd like
to offer to the GNU project as a GNU package,
see https://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: GNU-FSF relationship Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2019 09:54:41 -0400

I recently resigned as president of the FSF, but the FSF continues to
provide several forms of crucial support for the GNU Project.  As head
of the GNU Project, I will be working with the FSF on how to structure
the GNU Project's relationship with the FSF in the future.

Suggestions can be sent to address@hidden.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://gnu.org, https://fsf.org)

If you have a working or partly working program that you'd like
to offer to the GNU project as a GNU package,
see https://www.gnu.org/help/evaluation.html.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: No radical changes in GNU Project Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2019 16:48:23 -0400
As Chief GNUisance, I'd like to reassure the community
that there won't be any radical changes in the GNU Project's
goals, principles and policies.

I would like to make incremental changes in how some decisions are
made, because I won't be here forever and we need to ready others to
make GNU Project decisions when I can no longer do so.  But these
won't lead to unbounded or radical changes.