Re: Extends GNU project goals (or let's aim for the stars)

From: Amirouche
Subject: Re: Extends GNU project goals (or let's aim for the stars)
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 12:04:25 +0200

Le 22/05/2017 à 20:33, Nala Ginrut a écrit :
I like this idea, do you know Byzantium project?
Ad-hoc wireless mesh networking for the zombie apocalypse.
http://project-byzantium.org/
No I didn't know about this project.
Sounds too far away, but they're serious, and made it cool.

But I think the spaceship is more about the hardware, or is it just a
simulator project?

Basically what I proposed is free space program. Indeed it's big endeavor.

Anyway, I need to finish guile git bindings...

Best regards.

Amirouche writes:

Héllo,

I joined the GNU project as a Guile developper because it was the
correct technical solution for my immediate needs. GNU is one of the
best project incubator I know of. Also GNU with the help of the FSF
promote and protect our free sotfwares and other aspects of freedom.

Nowdays you can proudly say that free software is the norm and the
basic building block upon which everyday commercial offerings are
created. Let's repeat it. Nowdays free software is widespread, global
and like the pacific ocean it looks like a natural resource.

I don't forget that hardware is mostly not free.

What I see in general is that projects with a goal have much more
success. A lot of project aim to copy and improve existing
softwares. This is good but not enough to make the hive dream.

Innovation is difficult. Let's aim for the stars.

Let's build a free self-sufficent and sustainable space-ship for a one
way trip to another habitable planet with the goal to settling a
colony.

I draw initial requirements for that projects:

- The official languages may be English and Esperanto
- The official programming languages may be C and Guile

It will take advantage of existing GNU project, because GNU leads the
way and we can't ignore guix.

The travel between planets may take several decades, so the spaceship
must be able to
  fully sustain life of 1 million persons during several decades. The
maximum capacity of the spaceship may be 3 millions lifes.

The project is not only about building spaceship navigation
system. It's all about sustain life over a long period of time and
prepare for what's next ie. rebuild the entire production means
available on Earth.

In the course of the project, we will make sure to improve on Earth's
state of affair  by documenting, building and using software and
hardware but with a purpose.

WDYT?