Re: about GNU Hurd

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: about GNU Hurd
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2007 19:50:22 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 10:36:23PM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

>    Marcus told me this week that some low-level parts of the Hurd need
>    to be redesigned for Hurd-NG, but lots of servers would just be
>    ported.
>
> I'd really like to see that thread, could you forward it to me? Marcus
> seems to be changing things back and forth to fast for people to
> follow, last time I heard anything about the topic (about a month
> ago), Hurd-NG would be a complete redesign of the Hurd, discarding all
> code.
>
> Olaf, you tend to be up to par on this topic, could you elaborate?

I don't know much details, and haven't heard a direct statement on this
from Marcus for ages. I'm pretty sure Richard's information is more
correct than anything I could write.

All I can say is what I told you already several months ago: That Marcus
seems to have become more "conservative" again. My impression is that he
no longer wants to rewrite everything to create a perfect system, but
rather focuses on the areas that most need improvement, and otherwise
tries to keep as much as possible.

-antrik-