Re: Bootup and package managment (and a small status report)

From: Alfred M\. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Bootup and package managment (and a small status report)
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 21:16:28 +0200

       I still think that /stow is far clearer than /installed.  Users
       who are already familiar with GNU stow, will understand
       directly what will happen when you put a symbolic link in
       /stow.

   Hardly anyone is familiar with GNU stow.  So we should choose the
   name that is clearest to the majority, the people are not familiar
   with GNU stow.  That is why I propose /installed.

I'm not particulary fond of /installed, it sounds as if this directory
contains packages that have been installed on the system once upon a
time, or a place where you can get a list of installed packages.  It
doesn't sound as a place where you actually install packages.

I also find /installed (and /packages) too long to type, TAB
completion can slow one down...

   Can you suggest another name that is clearer to the typical user?

I'm having a hard time to budge on this; I think users will find /stow
far clearer than anything else I have tried to come up with.  Your
suggestions while decent, are too ambiguous.  What you are doing when
you put a symlink in /stow, is that you are stowing one or several
packages into the system in a single `compartment'.

All in all, I think the /stow is the clearest.  Any chance of you
budging on this detail?

Happy hacking!