[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: lily 1.4.3

From: William R. Brohinksy
Subject: Re: lily 1.4.3
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:09:51 -0400

> From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
> Subject: lily 1.4.3
> 1.4.2.jcn4
> ==========
> * Windows: bugfix for tex-wrappers, added tex wrapper for dvips.
> LilyPond (read: ly2dvi) should now work right out of the box.
> Amazing; it seems that ly2dvi won't generate PK files without this
> dvips wrapper.  We had over 200 downloads of setup.exe, yet only one
> `call for help'.  Did all the others give up, or did none of them
> bother to share their fix/file a bug report?  Urg.

OK, I apologize. I'm sure at least 10 of these downloads were mine, and
although I have made an attempt at getting assistance, I can't begin to
claim that I understand what's going on well enough to formulate a good
bug report.

First off: I am trying to install lilypond on win2K (I've tried both as
Administrator and as a user with admin privs), using the setup.exe from

I've tried about 15 times now, sometimes using just that setup,
sometimes going to the cygwin page and starting from there. At the
moment I have full downloads from both the lily setup and the cygwin
install, and I'm doing some experimentation.

I've uninstalled and deleted everything I had. I've installed only the
lilypond setup for 1.4.3-1 and those files associated with it via the
setup.ini from I have copied to my
home directory, and I run ly2dvi thus:
The result is a popup-information box, which tells me this:
(titlebar) Python.exe - Unable to locate DLL
(contents) The dynamic link library python15.dll could not be found in
the specified path

This is a bit startling. It's repeatable (10 times!). I can't say I
begin to understand how the files are working, but some
things are obvious:

python15.lib and python15_d.lib are in c:\cygwin\usr\windows\Python\libs
(/usr/windows/python/libs) but there is no python15.dll to be found. (I
suspect this is a bug?)

I have a solution: use the cygwin install to install Python 2.1-1. I
know (from prior experience) that this will give me enough Python that
the dll will be there. 

Doing this and then running ly2dvi again produces this result:
Running LilyPond...
GNU LilyPond 1.4.3
Now processing: `/home/raybro/'
Interpreting music...[3]
Preprocessing elements...
Calculating column positions...
paper output to `example-1.tex'...

Interpreting music...
MIDI output to `example-1.midi'...
Track ...
Analyzing example-1.tex...
Running LaTeX...
error: latex: command exited with value 32512
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\cygwin\usr\lilypond-1.4.3\bin\", line 760, in ?
    run_latex (files, outbase, extra)
  File "C:\cygwin\usr\lilypond-1.4.3\bin\", line 581, in
    system (cmd)
  File "C:\cygwin\usr\lilypond-1.4.3\bin\", line 313, in system
    error (msg)
  File "C:\cygwin\usr\lilypond-1.4.3\bin\", line 206, in error
    raise _ ("Exiting ... ")
Exiting ...

This one befuddles me greately, because doing an ls of my home directory
(where all this has supposedly taken palce) yeilds no sign of the .tex
nor the .midi files that are claimed to have been created.
If I now run lilypond itself on the example file
address@hidden ~$ lilypond
GNU LilyPond 1.4.3
Now processing: `'
Interpreting music...[3]
Preprocessing elements...
Calculating column positions...
paper output to `example-1.tex'...

Interpreting music...
MIDI output to `example-1.midi'...
Track ...
address@hidden ~$ ls  example-1.midi  example-1.tex

which befuddles me more. Same claims of paper and MIDI output, but this
time the files exist. Is there something in ly2dvi that deletes these
files after an unsuccessful run of latex? 

I apparently lack the expertise as yet to run latex and tex, since
trying either gets a [la]tex.exe not found. I'm working on that.

Part of the reason I could download setup.exe so many times and not file
a bug report, by the way, is that I've had different failures
practically each time. My first install (as user raybro, rather than
Administrator, installed 'for me') stuck me in a home dir named
/home/500. However, everything 'seemed to work'. I could run ly2dvi -P
and get a .ps file (and a .dvi) and the .ps would have no noteheads,
clef or time signatures, or barlines. I sent email to the maintainer of
the cygwin lilypond release (in france?), for this problem, and alluded
to it when I answered the question about what I [was|intended to]
use[ing] lilypond for, and received a reply from Mats offering help. I
sent him the same data (the list of commands from the faq and the
results). His response ended up in the gnu-music mailing list, as well
(a bit of surprise to me, since I'd thought the offer was intended to
continue as private correspondence until I at least understood enough of
what was wrong to be able to say something public about the

Anyway, his suggestions didn't work out, because, apparently, the
problem was in producing pk files, and following his suggestions didn't
cure it. So I ripped it all out by the entrails, and this began the
nightmare of multiple installations. Each time, different, but more
effective if I started by installing the complete cygwin installation,
then installing lilypond over that, and refusing to 'update' things like
python to earlier versions.

I apologize for the slightly strained tenor to this post, but it's been
over a week since I've entered a note of music, just struggling with the
1.4.2/1.4.3 installs and terminal confusion coupled with massive
ignorance (on my part, all). I hope what I'm posting here can ring a
bell with someone, so that I might be able to dig myself out of this
hole, and at least be able to carry an example file through to a
finished .ps with actual noteheads, and I can get back to work on the
'real work' of transcribing renaissance music!


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]