gnu-music-discuss

easyplay music using lilipond?

From: Steve Nicholson
Subject: easyplay music using lilipond?
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 15:51:17 -0000

Hi there everyone.
I would like some advice on whether lilipond would be suitable for producing
easyplay music.  My dad has asked me to look into finding him some software
to enable him (and friends) to convert standard sheet music scores to
"easyplay" music that is easier for him to read and play.  Some background
on the issue.  My dad is 80 and has been learning/playing electronic organs
for about 10 years, he learnt using "easyplay" music the type that has the
letter in each note making it easier for beginners to read music.  He needs
glasses and finds it very difficult to read "fly spot" music, as he calls
it, quick enough to be able to enjoy playing it.  Although there is a lot of
easyplay music produced there is a lot of stuff they would like to play that
is not in the easyplay format.  He has been using stickers he made with a
labelling machine and manually recreating his own easyplay music sheets,
then scans it and sends to his buddies.  He has a PC running Windows 98 ME
and is a little on the slow side as far as being a supper user is concerned
so new software takes a little time.  I did a basic library in a MS VISO
type programme so he could create using a drag & drop approach but there are
a lot of restrictions and one of his comments was requiring a steady hand.
I would like to move him over to Linux as I think there is more useful
software for him but can't really support him with it since I'm in the
United Kingdom and he is in New Zealand.  I'm not a musician myself which
makes it a little difficult creating something for him although I do have a
basic understanding.

So with the above in mind the two questions are:
1. Is it possible to create "easyplay" music with the letters in the notes
using Lilipond?
2. If it is possible, how difficult (and how long) would it be for an 80 old
to create "easyplay" sheet music.

I have had a quick look over the Lilipond information and think using the
notation would be ok, as long as there is a way for him to view it visually
for checking.  I realise easyplay is probably frowned upon by music
professions as not being the thing to use, it has given my dad a new lease
of life and enjoyment so I would hope that you can give us useful advice.
Thank you and happy playing.

Steve Nicholson (UK)
on behalf of Dave Nicholson (NZ).

This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient of any part of this e.mail
please notify us immediately by telephone on +44 ( 0 ) 20 7896 8484
or send it back to address@hidden .
Do not disclose the contents to any other person or take copies.
Please also delete the message from your system.
Views expressed in the message are those of the individual sender,
except where specifically stated to be the views of
FOCUS Central London.

FOCUS Central London Ltd, Centre Point, 103 New Oxford Street,
London, WC1A 1DR
Tel: 020 7896 8484  Fax: 020 7896 8686
E-mail: address@hidden
Web: www.focusnet.uk.com
Registered in England No. 3295148. A company limited by guarantee