gnu-music-discuss

Re: The future of the GMD music archive.

From: Chris Sawer
Subject: Re: The future of the GMD music archive.
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 14:17:07 GMT

Anthony Fok wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 01:40:00PM +0100, Christian Mondrup wrote:
>> Dear list members.
>> Werner's death and approaching changes within the GMD organization until
>> now hosting our music archive have forced us to prepare for a move of
>> the archive to another internet site. A sub group of mutex subscribers
>> have been discussing these matters for some days without finding an
>> obvious solution on the problem. I therefore ask 'out into the open'
>> whether someone among you have a proposal for a preferably non-profit
>> (academic?) networking organization willing to host the sheet music
>> archive and the mutex mailing list. We allready have offer for a site to
>> take care of the typeseting software.
>
> How about Mutopia?  http://www.mutopiaproject.org/
>
> While most of the music on Mutopia are typeset with GNU LilyPond,
> it seems to me that both Mutopia and the GMD Music Archive have similar
> goals: to help share beautiful sheet music to everyone for free.

Our goals are similar, but the GMD Music Archive has always accepted music
typeset using any software, and with pretty much any restrictions as long
as the printed music can be distributed for free.

Mutopia, on the other hand, only accepts music typeset using software that
uses an open source file format (currently we only have LilyPond scores,
but I see no reason why this shouldn't be extended in theory), and that is
free to distribute, perform /and/ modify.

> It would be really nice to see the GMD Music Archive become part of Mutopia.
> Probably in a separate section, or perhaps eventually merged into one,
> whatever works.  I hope that this will also help to gather the talents of
> MusiXTeX and LilyPond (etc.) users.  :-)

I can't see the archives merging because of the above issues, but anyone who
has music on the GMD archive is welcome to submit it to Mutopia if it meets
our acceptance criteria.

Chris

--

Chris Sawer - address@hidden - Mutopia Maintainer